Terrell Tx

Welcome to 75160
Thursday, November 23 2017 @ 06:00 am EST

Forum Index > Political > Rental Community Integrity Ordinance No. 2457 New Topic Post Reply
 update on rental petition
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: str8shtr
 August 17 2010 15:20 pm (Read 17910 times)  

Jeff Wolverton said that a petition was taken to the City of Terrell on August 9th with 763 signatures. The petition asked the city to have an election for all the citizens to vote on the City's proposal rather than 5 council members deciding on the Rental Ordinance.
The City of Terrell has 10 days to respond to the petition.
Tonight at the Council Meeting there may be discussion about the proposal.

Anonymous: s
 August 17 2010 15:26 pm  

Jeff said there is a SPECIAL meeting Thursday night at 6:00 in the Council chambers about this rental proposition.

blossom
 August 17 2010 16:06 pm  
Forum Newbie

It is my understanding that death threats have been made against council member Palmer who was the ONE who popped right up and made the motion to pass the ordinance. She quite obviously paid no attention to the "WILL OF THE PEOPLE"..... it is just about EGO... and their big position on the Terrell City Council... The Police are providing her with a bullet proof vest and "protection"... Duh, people are angry....It is also my understanding that the residents in her district are VERY VERY ANGRY and don't want the City in their business....

Profile Email
Anonymous: Bubba
 August 17 2010 17:32 pm  

As I understand the effect of this new ordinance, inspection fees and the costs of coming into compliance will cause rents to go up all over Terrell. Can someone tell me approximately how much in $$$ per month this is going to raise rent?

blossom
 August 17 2010 17:32 pm  
Forum Newbie

Sorry, it was Sandra Wilson, not Palmer... my mistake... clarification

Profile Email
Admin
 August 17 2010 22:14 pm  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: blossom

It is my understanding that death threats have been made against council member Wilson who was the ONE who popped right up and made the motion to pass the ordinance. She quite obviously paid no attention to the "WILL OF THE PEOPLE"..... it is just about EGO... and their big position on the Terrell City Council... The Police are providing her with a bullet proof vest and "protection"... Duh, people are angry....It is also my understanding that the residents in her district are VERY VERY ANGRY and don't want the City in their business....

I think that's giving her too much credit. I can't think this is a serious threat.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: oldmandoc
 August 17 2010 23:02 pm  

I hope people who are not land lords read the proposed ordinance. First it was multi-dwelling homes, then single rental homes and, you watch, ALL homes will be next.
In the ordinance it says $25 first inspection, $36.00 if it doesn't pass and inspector has to come back, $100.00 after that.

If the landlord doesn't renew the certificate of inspection 30 days of expiration date, cost is $100.00 just for that (never mind the actual inspection).

Also in the ordinance it says the City is wanting this ordinance to promote crime prevention, to provide standards to protect the health, safety and MORALS (under purpose of the code), and welfare of the citizens.

Who judges the morals now?

Anonymous: Billings
 August 18 2010 00:28 am  

I am sorry anyone would have death threats against them. The more I read the RCIO 2457 the madder I get. I can understand people getting really mad, but I don't understand death threats !
People, please read the ordinance. It is on this site, just click on it.

Anonymous: Sammy
 August 18 2010 10:29 am  

I have some friends who own apartments in Terrell and they said something along the lines of "You'll be next".

This all reminds me of Hitler. Every time he wanted to attack someone he told everyone else that if they didn't get involved he wouldn't come after them.

Anonymous: str8shtr
 August 18 2010 16:46 pm  

Jeff W. said that yesterday at the Kiwanis meeting at noon that Sandra Wilson (Council Member) did not have police protection or a bullet proof vest. Perhaps there was a short scare, but it is good news to hear she isn't worried now. Let's hope that was just a rumor.

Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EST. The time is now 06:00 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Banner Advertisement